[squeak-dev] Re: [Esug-list] [Pharo-users] Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

Hernán Morales Durand hernan.morales at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 03:27:00 UTC 2010

Hi Noury,

2010/9/7 Noury Bouraqadi <bouraqadi at gmail.com>:
> Sorry Andreas. I don't see the conflict of interest.
> You cleary missunderstood the point.
>
> ESUG is just an engine for moving the Smalltalk community forward.
> The ESUG board will not decide which is the best book, this is why the vote is open to the community.
> Nevertheless, ESUG board members likewise other Smalltalkers can submit their work.
>
> We spent time listing books about Smalltalk.  And one of our conclusion is that the community is not very strong on this point, since we have only few authors (Andrès Valloud, Stéphane, ...). And we are lucky to have them.
>
> The goal of ESUG is to promote Smalltalk.
> Showing that  Smalltalk books are valuable and encouraging people to write is the point here.
>
> We want MORE SMALLTALK BOOKS!
> This is the message that everybody should remember.

I should disagree. I think we need more Smalltalk mentors. Here in
Argentina almost no-one is doing mentorship in Smalltalk. What about
other countries?
The problem is that mentoring involves mastering so many things
outside the computer (psychology, pedagogy, management, etc) that I
only imagine very few of them in the world.

Some books are fine, but they are too one of the most uncommitted ways
of "teaching". If actually I would buy a Smalltalk book, I would
choose one from somebody which has mainly built real working systems
with Smalltalk and not necessarily is the god of compilers, patterns
or software engineering. The highest coding skills doesn't qualify
nobody as a true master of pedagogy, not even give you automatically
good communication or social abilities.

Hernán