[squeak-dev] Re: [Esug-list] [Pharo-users] Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

Hernán Morales Durand hernan.morales at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 07:29:45 UTC 2010

Hi Frank,

2010/9/8 Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at angband.za.org>:
> On 2010/09/08 04:46, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ale,

>>> We can't ignore evidence about people and corporations that
>>> tried to spread horizontally Smalltalk and failed
>>> during the last +30years.
>>
>> Management pedagogy practices are widely ignored in open-source
>> communities, people here may ignore what do you mean with
>> horizontal/vertical learning...
>>
>>> It is not the same as in "programming languages".
>>>

>> And I wonder why developers think in more in languages instead of
>> systems (formal education? lack of interest in GST?)
>
> GST here is Weinberg's General Systems Thinking? (as opposed to the other
> gst - GNU Smalltalk)

I mean "General System Theory" as coined by von Bertalanffy, although
many of the ideas were originated and associated with cyberneticists
(like Norbert Wiener). System theory explains in really interesting
ways concepts like dynamic equilibrium, self-regulation (or
homeostasis), positive and negative feedback. Their original idea was
stop attempting to understand the behavior of every element or part of
the system and start to focus in the general laws which apply directly
to systems. The explanatory model and discourse strategies has been
appropiated, reformulated and used in other areas like archeology,
biology, politics, epistemology and philosophy to name a few.

Hernán