[squeak-dev] Building Cocoa 5.x series plugins, and testing help needed.

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Sep 8 10:12:41 UTC 2010

On 08.09.2010, at 09:11, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Ok, I was going to spend a few of my precious evenings going thru and rebuilding all/some of the plugins for the Cocoa V5.x series of VMs.
> Maybe even update them for the Cog Stack and JIT VM.

Awesome!

> Now the problem is the Smalltalk code "Locale" for talking to this plugin sucks, it doesn't actually call most of the primitives and there aren't
> any tests. Obviously if no-cares about using the plugin then I can't be bothered to poke at it.

It might suck, but for the parts that are used it works.

> Now this might work with Squeak 4.x VMs, I've not tried it.

It does.

> It might work with 64bit VMs (5.7x), I've not tried it.
> It might work on PowerPC, I've not tried it.
> It should work on the 5.8x series but I've not tried it out of canadian english, metric, PST, daylight savings time, georgian calendar settings
> so I have no idea if it works oh say in France where you use Euros versus $ signs?
>
> I've not bothered ported to iOS devices since it's unclear if anyone supports the Locale class?

Etoys uses it to automatically switch to the host system's language on startup. Also, to access the current time zone offset to convert between UTC and local time).

I briefly tested your new plugin with a 4.x VM and it appears to work fine with Etoys.

Squeak Trunk uses it too, to get the time zone (UTC offset). I am not aware of other uses.

- Bert -