[squeak-dev] Quicktime player

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 11:17:31 UTC 2010

On Thursday 09 Sep 2010 2:50:43 pm Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> The best way would be to give the bits to Squeak only if it asks for them.
> The UI could then enable fast overlay rendering while the video is
> unobscured, and switch to slow bitblt rendering when needed. It might be
> tricky to make the transition be seamless, but it is the only way to have
> our cake and eat it too.
>
> Well, unless we switch to a layered rendering model where the VM does the
> compositing. Now that would be neat :) Though we'd still need access to
> the composited frame buffer for things like color picking and Etoys color
> tests.
Why not have both modes and switch between them? Overlay is sufficient for ops
like moving/resizing/rotating etc which involve only frames. You could always
do a mode switch (say pause/step) to go into bitblt mode for picking or
checking colors. Or have an explicit frame grab to obtain a form for these
ops?

Subbu