[squeak-dev] Re: The Trunk: Monticello-bf.399.mcz

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Sep 9 16:21:35 UTC 2010

On 09.09.2010, at 17:58, Andreas Raab wrote:

> I really like this but I am wondering: Why are the changes only listed as a reminder and not kept in the checkin comment? One of the biggest difficulties that I often have is finding out where exactly a method got modified in the history of some package which is exactly what's provided here. It also gives a scope for how sweeping the changes in a particular package versions were.
>
> So I vote for leaving the information in the checkin comment.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Well, that's how other SCM handle it, and where I got the idea from. The comment should be written and not be generated, I think.

E.g. when I look at a package's version history on squeaksource, I'd hate having to see the modified methods all the time. Maybe we need a "-v" button ;)

Listing the difference between two versions should really be a separate operation IMHO and not be part of the comment (where it would also be unreliable). We lack UI for that, true, but I'd rather wait for that than cluttering the comments now, which we can't undo later.

I wouldn't mind storing the modifications as a separate field in MCVersionInfo as much, although the version history already takes up quite a chunk of space in an MCZ package. Making it even larger is not a good idea imho.

- Bert -