[squeak-dev] Re: MVC debugging

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Sep 10 05:55:03 UTC 2010

On 9/9/2010 6:11 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> With regards to #2 (MVCToolBuilder should use #openNoTerminate), aha! You have
> added the #open1:label: methods that call #openNoTerminate in the case of MVC.
> The #openNoTerminate method has been in the image since at least 1997, but it's
> unreferenced in Squeak now. In Squeak 3.8 and earlier it was called by several
> methods, including Debugger>>openFullNoSuspendLabel:.
>
> This does seem to be something that went missing due to some incomplete MVC
> ToolBuilder implementation (no surprise, but I think you are the first person
> to correctly spot it).
>
> The #open1:label: methods in your change set implement the calls to #openNoTerminate,
> although I think it might be cleaner to add ToolBuilder>>open:label:terminateActive:
> as this avoids the need to provide Morphic or other ToolBuilder implementations.
> I put an implementation of this for review in the inbox (ToolBuilder-Kernel-dtl.37
> and ToolBuilder-MVC-dtl.21).
>
> Andreas, when you get a chance can you have a look at these in the inbox and say
> if they should be included in ToolBuilder? Thanks.

Sure. One thing I'm not sure about is this terminateActive: thingie. I
don't like to expose a concept that is only applicable to MVC via the
ToolBuilder APIs. So I'm wondering - poking in MVC it appears that the
only difference between those xxxNoTerminate and the other variants are
simply a call to Processor terminateActive. If that's the case, I think
we should push these calls to the senders instead of exposing them via
ToolBuilder. Any reason that wouldn't work?

Cheers,
   - Andreas