[squeak-dev] Re: New Trunk Image: Squeak4.2-10382-alpha

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Mon Sep 20 15:56:06 UTC 2010

I did it a few months back (http://hudson.jooshr.org/), but eventually I
had to disable the daily building, because I could not maintain it - new
updates would invariably somehow cause a build failure.

Due to differences (at the time) in SUnit between Squeak and Pharo, I
had to hack up the build scripts and select compatible versions of the
automated build code (HudsonBuildTools.mcz). The result today is that
it's neither synced up with the latest Pharo build scripts, nor is it
able to build the latest Squeak. I'll be sync'ing up to the latest build
scripts, shortly, I hope.

If anyone is setting this up, I'd suggest they start with setting up the
equivalent of a one-click build for Squeak. You would provide a
pre-built image for this build, probably built manually using whatever
means are currently used.

You do not need a server to do the build - I run Hudson on my laptop,
doing several builds a day sometimes. You can then upload the result to
the Squeak download area. For whoever is taking on the build task, it
brings consistency and ease.

The next step would be to automate the building of the image from the
updates. The scripting is the easy part, the hard part is a "cultural"
change in the community. Unless contributors are agreeable to unattended
builds (i.e. no UI, or no UI interaction required), the build server
will regularly fail to produce a useful build image. During load and
test, there can be no user dialogs that pop up that require a button press.

--
Yanni