[squeak-dev] Re: terse Object concatenation

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Thu Sep 23 19:15:48 UTC 2010

>>>>> "Chris" == Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> writes:

Chris> I guess I'm feeling frustrated by having to fight so hard against all
Chris> of these fake "problems" for a enhancement has absolutely _no bearing_
Chris> on any of your lives, but tangibly important for my application and
Chris> users.  It's just a simple way for them to express a list of objects
Chris> in a natural way that can be directly interpreted.  Nothing more.

OK, then add an override in your packages.  I just don't want it in
core.

It's too much dwimmery, in the same sense that I would object to
nonBooleans all of a sudden being treated as true or false instead of
rejecting them with MustBeBoolean, just because Ruby and Perl work that
way. It doesn't feel like Smalltalk any more.

It would also have to be special cased for anything that wants to be
portable with the other Smalltalks.  Ugh.