[squeak-dev] Re: MVC debugging

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 06:00:29 UTC 2010

On 9/24/10, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 09:16:56PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Hi -
>>
>> I was playing with MVC but I noticed something odd. With the latest
>> changes, the pre-debug notifier shows up nicely in MVC but when you go
>> to actually debug things the resulting debugger doesn't show - instead,
>> when you back into the parent (Morphic) project, another notifier shows
>> there.

>> Any ideas what might be causing this?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   - Andreas
>
> That would be a deferred UI event getting scheduled in the wrong world.
> The culprit seems to be  class>>openOn:context:label:contents:fullView:
> which is sending #addDeferredUIEvent: to WorldState rather than
> Project current.

A debugger shows up in MVC but it has not the usual buttons to
actually to debug things.
If I go back to the Morphic world

a 'Message not understood' comes up in
ControlManager>>activeController

The activeController does not understand #startup.

But I just can close 'Message not understood' window and resume work.
So I'm not too worried about this at the moment....

The good thing is that MVC has moved a big step forward. For doing
certain programming operations with Morphic while it is not running it
might be good enough as of now.

> This is from one of our recent changes, and needs to be changed back
> to use Project current. Unfortunately, "fixing" this exposes other
> problems.  Try opening a debugger in MVC, then switching back to Morphic.
> Very entertaining, but save your image first ;)

What do I need to do to get this behaviour?