[squeak-dev] how to write to stdOut and stdErr under Cog

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 09:29:18 UTC 2010

On 9/27/10, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 27.09.2010, at 12:23, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>
>> +1, yes _very_ helpful
>>
>> Is it a lot of work to do so?
>>
>> --Hannes
>
> Not really, but still some. More importantly, it requires coordinating all
> the platforms.
>
> The new primitive(s) must be added to VMMaker, which calls into the platform
> support code, which must be written (or at the very least be stubbed out)
> for each platform.
>
> This work typically falls to the few VM platform maintainers. We do not have
> a good process to share that burden.
>
> Contributors have to send patches to the vm-dev list. But since no one is
> expert in all platforms, patches typically are supplied for one platform
> only. It is expected of the platform maintainers to implement the equivalent
> on their platform. This means significant work for them, so it might not
> happen soon or at all.
>
> If patches were provided for all platforms and simply needed to be applied,
> the work would be much easier on the maintainers. However, we lack
> collaboration infrastructure to work on these patches.
>
> - Bert -

As Cog is still in test and evaluation phase and not yet widespread I
think it is an opportunity to add this basic feature people expect.

I agree with your analysis. We need collaboration infrastructure for
future changes like this.

But for the change at hand I hope that it is still possible to do it
on a as-we-go-along basis .....

--Hannes