The future of Morphic (Re: [squeak-dev] SimpleMorphic Editors)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Apr 2 18:06:10 UTC 2011

Hi Balázs,

Balázs Kósi wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
>> Ps. Let me repeat that I support the initiatives to use SimpleMorphic on
>> Squeak and Pharo, and I'm willing to answer any questions.
>>

> IIUC, Cuis' Morphic progressed quiet a bit compared to SimpleMorphic.
> So we're experimenting with tearing Morphic out from Cuis 3.1 and
> squeezing it into Squeak.
>
> One thing I noted is that PasteUpMorph code never sets its worldState ivar,
> but the sole PasteUpMorph instance has a WorldState. How's that?

That would be historic reasons... I guess.
I don't really know if Squeak has or had code for setting the worldState
ivar. In any case, that is indeed needed to be able to create new worlds.

> Our approach is that we fileOut classes from Cuis.
> Then load it applying some transformations, to rename classes, categories and
> class references. Then - at least that's the plan - the SMx support package
>
> should take care of the rest. What do you think?
>
> Balázs

Sounds very good. It is quite like I did the first version of SimpleMorphic.

Maybe it is easier if you first load the current version of
SimpleMorphic, and then compare with the code you bring from Cuis 3.1,
to see the differences... I did need to tweak a lot of details to make
it load in Pharo, and I guess David did further changes to load into
Squeak. If you just compare differences it will be easier to tell which
are changes done for Pharo/Squeak compatibility and which ones are stuff
that was later updated in Cuis...

Good luck!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich