[squeak-dev] Did we really nailed files?

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 22:35:32 UTC 2011

File based SCM are a nightmare. Did you ever tried to re-organize
source files into a different directory structure, or even worse
reorganize classes/functions in files ?
Fortunately Parc nailed files from Smalltalk for us a while ago, didn't they?

Files, yes, but the idea of directory/folders is sticky.
One avatar is the package, at least as it is defined now in
Squeak/Pharo/VW: an arbitrary boundary for organizing class and
methods with no semantic. Smell a lot like file/directories, doesn't
it?

The bad news is that our tools for handling those blobs are as bad as
the others from this POV.
If you move a class/method to a different package, you ain't gonna
track it/diff it/merge it that easily with MC1...
And this is a concrete problem when you wanna merge some Squeak/Pharo
changes for example.
VW Store suffers from same Achille heel AFAIK.
Not only is it unpracticle, it was (is?) bugged (especially if you
have silly ideas like playing with overrides)...
Just browse the numbers of ARs related to interpackage motions if you
have access to such database .

At the end I find myself still using rough filed out change sets...
Just the leafs of the arbitrary organizational tree, but that's enough
they carry all the semantic.
A pity (but thanks they are still there).
Barely enough are the filtering tools (especially in Squeak/Pharo -
Even MC UI seriously lack filtering facilities, a must-have for cherry
picking).
Should I have a look to MC2?

Nicolas