MC conventions (was Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: Installer-Core-cmm.346.mcz)

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Sun Apr 10 13:17:49 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Sorry for the rant about MCVersionName, but if we are changing the semantics of
> core parts of the system, I think we should at least be aware of it.

It seems to me that this is an opportunity to define a way to name
branches. If I understand correctly, if I informally name a branch by
changing the version name, the version breaks some tools. (The MC UI
invites naive users to change the version name, in much the same way
we might name a fileout or a patch.)

The possibility of occasionally naming a branch seem useful to me,
though perhaps I am too conditioned by centralised revision control.