[squeak-dev] more voters (was: The result is in!)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Apr 11 22:07:30 UTC 2011

Ron Teitelbaum wrote on Sun, 10 Apr 2011 21:46:27 -0400
> I'm sure you will all do a wonderful job.  I suppose one thing we need to do
> is find a way to encourage more people to vote and get involved.  Thank you
> to each and every one of the 138 voters.  Hopefully we can find a way to
> reverse the trend and grow the community.

This was one issue that the previous board was supposed to have solved
but ended up slipping through the cracks. As part of the acceptance of
the Squeak project by the SFC, we were supposed to come up with a more
formal definition of who is part of the project (and so can vote) and
how the list of members should be updated.

Since this was too close to the election last year, we decided that an
ad hoc solution was to start out with the old SqueakPeople list and
patch that. There were other issues after that (such as the financial
situation, now fully resolved, and the 4.2 release) and it once again
fell to Göran patch the list this year. I would like to thank him for
continuing to make this work for our community! But I hope we can come
up with a proper solution for project membership over the next few
months.

My own suggestion was a site with a list of all the members plus forms
to request to be added or removed. I know that many people worry about
privacy issues with stuff like that, so this would have to be handled.
And we should let related communities know about this so even people who
don't subscribe to squeak-dev can participate.

The SqueakPeople list is gone (but can still be seen on archive.org) but
a similar list (showing some of the problems that can arise) for Etoys
users is

http://www.squeakland.org/squeakers/

I would also like to thank everyone who voted this year and specially
those who ran.

-- Jecel