[squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis 3.2 is released

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2005 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 10:32:22 UTC 2011

On 4/14/11 2:38 AM, "Balázs Kósi" <rebmekop at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today I restarted my efforts of basing SimpleMorphic on Cuis' morphic.
> My previous try stalled, because it proved to be hard to gap the
> divergence of Squeak and Cuis outside the code I brought from there.
> (IIRC I was fiddling with CharacterScanner incompatibilities lately)
>
> So my new approach is to sever a bigger chunk from Cuis .
>  - I grabbed not only Morphic and the Theme categories but also all
> the code from System-Text, Tools, Shout and Graphics-Text and three
> more classes (Preferences Preference RunArray). [1]
>  - Then loaded it with the little utility I attached [2]. This
> converts category and class names and class references.
>  - Then I've loaded the SMx package, and started the long battle with
> the errors popping up, eventually slipping into changing the extracted
> SimpleMorphic package.
>
> I've uploaded the results to the SimpleMorphicSqueak repo [3].
> Hopefully it can be loaded into a clean trunk image. It's possible to
> create a new project, open the world menu and return to the previous
> project.
>
> The next steps will be to make the tools (from Cuis) work, by
> improving the SMx package. I hope this will solder the code into the
> Trunk. Then make the ToolBuilder work, and then we hopefully can pick
> up the thread where we left and merge with Edgar. What do you think?
>
> Balázs
>
> p.s: We have 3 overrides in Trunk code. Two in Rectangle (Rectangle >>
> quickMerge:, Rectangle class >> merging: ). Both to accept nil instead
> of Rectangles. The third is DisplayScreen >> defaultCanvasClass. It
> dispatches on
> Project current to get the canvas class, so SimpleMorphic can use its
> own canvas. Maybe they can integrated into the Trunk.
>
> [1] This is the code I use to get the code out from Cuis:
>
> fs := FileStream newFileNamed: 'SimpleMorphic-3.2.st'.
> #('Morphic' 'Theme' 'System-Text' 'Tools' 'Shout' 'Graphics-Text') do:
> [ :category |
>        (SystemOrganization categoriesMatching: category, '*') do: [ :each |
>                SystemOrganization fileOutCategory: each on: fs ] ].
> #(Preferences Preference RunArray) do: [ :className | (Smalltalk
> classNamed: className) fileOutOn: fs ].
> fs close.
>
> [2] This is the code to load the filed out code:
>
> transformer := SMxFilePackageTransformer fromFileNamed:
> 'SimpleMorphic-3.2.st'.
> transformer filePackage fixClassOrder.
> transformer filePackage fileIn
>
> [3] Load script:
>
> Installer squeaksource
>        project: 'SimpleMorphicSqueak';
>        install: 'SimpleMorphic-kb.8';
>        install: 'SMx-kb.32'

Excellent!
Just trying with fresh Squeak4.3-11157 and update to 11241.

Gives some dnu, but nothing that can not be fixed
Today can't do much work , but try to focus in get rid of MCTool
dependencies for doing a merge between your code and mine.

For this I should move ToolBuilder-Kernel-edc.48, ToolBuilder-Morphic-edc.77
and http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Monticello-edc.457.mcz to Trunk first .

Agree ?

Edgar