[squeak-dev] Inbox and Communication

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Apr 15 19:42:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:19:49AM -0700, Casey Ransberger wrote:
> The more I think about it, the less I want Levente blocked on integrating the menu item I added and committed to the inbox while he's trying to checkin 14 commits that make our streams twice as fast.
>
> I think the root problem is probably communication, and I think it might be partly that newcomers sometimes start off a little shy. I remember when I first arrived, I knew I didn't know what I was doing, and asking to get my bits merged felt a little awkward.
>
> I also think that the healthiest solution will involve non-core devs taking ownership of the inbox in a lot of ways.
>
> Rather than make a single person a choke point, or force all of the core devs to do more work or lose their commit bit, maybe I can convince a core dev or two to volunteer to be goto people for merging inbox changes?
>
> What do the core developers think about this?
>
> I must say, I do like Chris' nag-mail idea.

I think you should turn the question around backwards. Instead of
"what can we do to to make people work on the inbox?" ask "what can
we do to the inbox process to make people want to work on it?".

For me, working on something in the inbox should be an enjoyable
thing to do for an hour or so in the morning with a nice cup of
fresh coffee. Right now it's kind of a pain to figure out what's
going in the the inbox, so I tend to find something else to do
while I'm sipping that cup of coffee.

$0.02

Dave