[squeak-dev] Inbox and Communication

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 20:45:24 UTC 2011

David: I know how to tell you that I want something merged, but I don't know how to make it smooth or fun.

You said it's a pain right now. Would you develop that? I want to know what I can do to make the Inbox process suck less for you (as a core committer.)

This is actually pretty important for me, because it's a great way for me to get wonderful feedback about the code I'm writing. "What's this method you're trying to add? You know there's already a method for that called #foo, right?" Etcetera.

It's such a great opportunity to learn that I've never wanted strongly to ask for Trunk access, even after I hit the point where I felt pretty comfortable with Smalltalk. I figure I'll ask when I actually need it, like if I wanted to bring over my themes engine from Cuis, in which case there'd be enough code that merging it in would be a pain for someone else.

That said, I really value the feedback I get from the core dev team, so I want to make doing so as painless as possible for them.

I note that there is very little process around the Inbox covered in Andreas' original development process document. We should amend the doc when we figure out what works. I don't mind doing that, and I would bet that Mr. Hirzel or Mr. Haupt could be convinced to step in if I am unexpectedly run over by a bus.