[squeak-dev] Hello list

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Apr 19 03:41:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 12:52:40PM +1000, Rodney Polkinghorne wrote:
> I've been playing with Squeak for two days.  I'm very impressed, and
> curious about the community that developed it.  So I thought I'd say
> hello.

Welcome!

> I'm a computational physicist, developing a new algorithm to integrate
> Schrodinger's equation.  I tried Smalltalk because of the integrated
> interface.  It would be good to have an exception handler that pops up
> a time series of the bad data, and lets me click to examine the
> timestep where it started to go wrong.  Smalltalk seems like the
> language most likely to do that.
>
> Now that I've tried it, I really like the access I have to the
> interpreter.  If something is broken, you can take off the cover and
> fix it.
>
> So now I have a changeset that adds "real" and "imaginary" methods to
> Number, along with a bunch of tests.  Where should I send it to be
> considered for the main distribution?

There are a various ways to distribute your code, but you may want
to start by just sending a copy of your change set to this list
and asking for feedback. There are a number of people here with
experience in numerical methods and mathematics, and they will
probably be able to give some good initial feedback.

Be sure to look at class Complex in the image. It's not a subclass
of Magnitude, so you may not have noticed it while browsing the
Number hierarchy.

Dave