[Seaside] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ; )

Germán Arduino garduino at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 11:04:54 UTC 2011

2011/4/20 Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de>:

> Am 2011-04-20 um 12:32 schrieb Germán Arduino:
>
>> Hi Tobias:
>>
>> Sorry if I'm asking something already explained, but what are the new
>> features of Squeaksource3?
>>
>> I'm interested in try being that I was thinking in provide it with
>> some sort of data replication (only ideas
>> at the moment).
>

> I have not implemented replication yet, but it is
> high on my list.
>
> There are no _really_ distinct features
> but in contrast to the oriiginal SqueakSource and
> SqueakSource 2,
> • runs on Seaside3.0 and Magritte 2
> • is highly aimed to run on GemStone
> • includes a basic Issue tracking implemented by Dale Henrichs
>
> I integrated the features that were ‘lurking around’ ,
> eg, in the source.squeak.org instance. So the recently added
> direct access to diffs between versions as either .diff or .cs
> is available in SqueakSource3, too.
>
> My highest aim was to improve extensibility, to allow drop-ins
> to extend squeaksource or to have a minimal one.
> For example, you can load the mare minimum of SqueakSource without
> even the ability to store versions to disk
> or have a full-featured SqueakSource that
> also includes Statistics, IssueTracking and (email) notification.
>
> I hope that helps imagine the SqueakSource3 :)
>
> So Long,
>        -Tobias_______________________________________________

Thanks for the comments Tobías. I've a good idea now and definitely I
will give it a try.

About the replication feature, do you have some ideas in mind?

I was thinking in different possibilities:

1. Develop a feature in the same squeaksource that does this.
2. Use some sort of replicated file system (as XtreemFS:
http://www.xtreemfs.org/). It will require to install it on XtreemOS
(http://www.xtreemos.eu/)
3. Use some nosql horizontally scalable DB (as Riak / Cassandra)
4. Use Magma/Gemstone

But, I repeat, just ideas until now. I was thinking in this feature to
my own use, because I need a reliable store of my source code on my
company.

Cheers.
Germán.