[squeak-dev] Tool problem: flattenHierarchy...

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Thu Apr 28 18:21:47 UTC 2011

On 2011/04/28 16:47, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 2011/04/28 16:33, Chris Muller wrote:
>> Sorry, I can't work on this - to reproduce,
>>
>> 1) browse implementors of chooseInstVarThenDo:
>> 2) try to spawn a hierarchy from the opened MessageSet.
>>
>> After a longish pause, a debugger opens; nil is getting into the
>> hierarchy.
>
> The long pause is understandable: ClassDescription generates a large
> hierarchy, which you can examine by evaluating:
>
> Browser new createHierarchyTreeOf: ClassDescription allSuperclasses,
> {ClassDescription}, ClassDescription allSubclasses
>
> I'll look at what I broke this afternoon/evening.

Huh. It's not actually Browser's fault. I have an image based on trunk
#11196 where I did all my Browser hacking; loading the latest
Tools(-cmm.345) spawns a ClassDescription hierarchy just fine.

That doesn't mean I know where the problem _is_, just one place where it
is _not_.

(What might be really cool is if we could have something that, when
something's added to a repository (like Trunk), generates a browseable
history thing: lists of versions, diffs between versions, and so on. I
don't care if that's in-image or in a web browser; it'd just make things
like finding out the current problem a lot easier.)

frank