[squeak-dev] Morphic Performance Graphs

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Fri Apr 29 16:28:53 UTC 2011

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Ben Coman wrote:

> Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>       On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Ben Coman wrote:
>
>             Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>              On 28.04.2011, at 17:52, Ben Coman wrote:
>

>              http://blog.openinworld.com/2011/03/morphic-performance/
>             http://blog.openinworld.com/2011/03/morphic-flavour-performance/
>             http://blog.openinworld.com/2011/04/performance-testing-spreadsheet/
>

>              Nice work. However, the VM (Interpreter or Cog) is independent of the image (Squeak / Cuis / Pharo). To get comparable results
>             you should run either image on both VMs (or, since you just care about performance, use Cog for all three).
>
>             - Bert -
>

>             Thanks Bert.  I only used the All-In-One-Click packages and am not familiar with how mix & match VMs and images.  It is not
>             something I have looked
>             into yet and a pointer to to some information on that would be useful.  Also, Cog seemed to be only newly arrived for Squeak
>             and I didn't want to hit
>             complications.  I was hoping it was fair to compare Squeak-Plain with Pharo-Plain and them to Pharo-Cog.
>
>             To a comment on the morphic-flavour-performance post I have attached a graph of Levente's results for CogVM with recent images.
>

>       Thanks. I was too lazy to convert from the output to the format used by the spreadsheet.
>

>       Levente
>
> I notice a big difference in your results between Pharo and Squeak that may be related to an enlightening comment left by Henrik on the
> morphic-flavour-performance article
> > The intersects check used for culling really dislikes floating point bounding box though, as it has to convert them to Fractions before comparing
> with integers.
>
> Would you feel inclined to rerun your tests using "rounded" ?

I've got no time for that right now, maybe later this evening.

> OR... if you could direct me to instructions on how to update my images from the one-clicks to the versions you used, then I will re-run on my hardware
> to get a direct comparison to my previous results.  I've been googling terms like "squeak updating to trunk" but there is a lot of fluff that isn't
> what I need.

Using another VM is pretty easy. Just download this
http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2382/cogwin.zip , unzip it to
any folder, then double click on Croquet.exe, select the image you want to
open, and that's it. If the sources file for your image is not on the
path, then the image will be unhappy about it, but that shouldn't be a
problem. You can always put the sources file to the same folder where
Croquet.exe is to fix this though.

Note that the Pharo and Cuis versions I used have changed their Transcript
implementations, so you'll have to adjust your code accordingly, otherwise
you won't be able to copy the results from Transcript.

Levente