[squeak-dev] "Pharoism" package?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 16:33:50 UTC 2011

Hi,

I did some work yesterday [1] getting Coral (a scripting framework for
Pharo: http://www.squeaksource.com/Coral.html) working in Trunk. I
made a few adjustments to Coral itself, mailing Oscar Nierstrasz the
changes (what look to be getting Coral to work with the latest
Filesystem code, post-large-refactor), and had to add a few methods to
Squeak that Coral was expecting. Presumably these were methods renamed
by Pharo:

Character >> join:
String >> join:
Class >> addInstVarNamed:
MetaClass >> addInstVarNamed:
Class >> subclass:
SmalltalkImage >> vmFullPath
Symbol >> isBinary

My question's a bit broader: there are many more Pharo developers than
Squeak developers, it seems. They're doing lots of cool stuff. We can
easily port these cool things to Squeak (at least, at the moment). If
anyone else is doing this kind've thing, perhaps it's worthwhile
either adding these kinds of methods to Grease, or having a general
"Pharoisms" package.

It's not all one-way, of course: having things easily loadable into
Squeak means that Squeak hackers (like me) can more easily contribute
to interesting packages (like Coral) without having to keep track of
two communities. (Coral could, with some love, become a full REPL,
which is something I really want.)

frank

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6938114/a-smalltalk-implementation-with-the-perfect-feature-set/6948945#6948945