[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] audio and pharo

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 01:23:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 12:40, Stéphane Ducasse
<stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:

>> That's unfortunate. :-( Ok. thanks for the reply.
>
> yes but if nobody helps we cannot do everything.
> What are you looking for?

(I created a msg, but it went to the bit bucket some how.... See if I
can remember what I wrote)

There are various native packages - MIDI, FM, wav, piano roll music
player, etc. and external ones like Siren, mu0, but I'm looking for
interactivity. If Squeak/Pharo had tools to create audio content where
the composer could build interactive music, or the sound designer was
able to adjust audio parameters dynamically, it would allow content
designers - or even product designers - a way to build audio richness
into their products.

Let's take a vehicle, like a car, as an example. Usually, not always,
but usually sound designers will record various samples of an car
engine at different engine RPM settings and at different engine LOADS.
At playback, these files will be crossfaded to build a coherent engine
sound. In a simplistic set up, the  pitch of the first sample will be
shifted until it reaches the crossfade area of the next sample... and
on it goes up to the highest RPM. In this way, a full engine sound can
be created by just changing the pitch (the reason for the crossfade is
that a sample can only be pitch shifted so far and beyond that will
sound artificial.)

To make it more realistic, another variable, LOAD, is added which
allows crossfading between two samples, at the same RPM, to allow
timbre to change --  simulating engine load

Ok, too much information. But, you get the idea. Having a tool to
build this interactivity (it doesn't have to be as synthetic as the
example) and then using the resulting assets to be added to a product
(hmmm, like the EToys car demo) would allow interactivity.. more than
just selecting a sound to play, which is what we have now.

For an example, see FMOD Designer
(http://www.fmod.org/index.php/products/designer). Free to
download/use. Something like this, with an accompanying engine, could
probably be easily built in Squeak or Pharo.