[squeak-dev] Xtreams file handles

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Sun Aug 14 06:57:21 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Nicolas Cellier

> Thanks Dave.
> Yes the separation of Stream from the IOHandle is a good thing IMO.
> Current architecture is
>  - ExternalRessourceHandle
> - - IOHandle
> - - - IOFileHandle
> - - - IOSocketHandle
> The question as I understand it is whether the IOHandle level by
> itself is required or not, and what does  it bring.
> Maybe it could bring common behaviour between socket and files, but
> currently it does not.
> In current implementation the common behaviour is captured by the Stream level.

That's exactly right.

And here's one other thing I just noticed: IOSocketHandle isn't being
used at all. Socket itself serves as a handle for Xtreams that read or
write to the network. I guess there's no reason not to make the
changes I need.

Thanks,

Colin