[squeak-dev] Re: Xtreams file handles

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Sun Aug 14 11:53:35 UTC 2011

Hi Nicolas--

> I note that the structure of Flow does not have the IOHandle level,
> but have a zoo of sockets defined as ExternalResource
> http://netjam.org/flow/architecture

     The Flow streaming model has streams, and "resources" which provide
the content for those streams (either internal collections or "external
resources" like files, sockets, and serial ports). An ExternalResource
in Flow has a handle instance variable, which is known to the virtual
machine. Basically, I've gone for "has a" rather than "is a" where
handles are concerned.

     In the interest of minimalism, it didn't seem necessary to model
external resource handles as anything more articulated than opaque
identifiers. Is something missing this way?

     I just updated [1-3]; thanks for reminding me.

     thanks again,

-C

[1] http://netjam.org/flow/architecture
[2] http://netjam.org/flow