[squeak-dev] Re: Xtreams file handles

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Aug 14 13:52:17 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 01:53:35PM +0200, Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi Nicolas--
>
> > I note that the structure of Flow does not have the IOHandle level,
> > but have a zoo of sockets defined as ExternalResource
> > http://netjam.org/flow/architecture
>
>      The Flow streaming model has streams, and "resources" which provide
> the content for those streams (either internal collections or "external
> resources" like files, sockets, and serial ports). An ExternalResource
> in Flow has a handle instance variable, which is known to the virtual
> machine. Basically, I've gone for "has a" rather than "is a" where
> handles are concerned.

Conceptually, this is the same approach I used with IOHandle. So I think
we are in agreement that a stream has-a external resource (or IOHandle
or whatever one chooses to call it).

>      In the interest of minimalism, it didn't seem necessary to model
> external resource handles as anything more articulated than opaque
> identifiers. Is something missing this way?

Given that you are supporting the low level things in the VM, no
you are not missing anything. If you wanted to use existing primitives
with no changes to the VM or plugins, then you would probably want
to add something like IOHandle for that purpose.

Dave