[squeak-dev] Re: [Pws] upgrading squeak/swiki

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2005 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 10:13:43 UTC 2011

On 8/13/11 4:10 PM, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 02:00:47PM -0400, Paul Wittenbraker wrote:
>> I've been using a swiki now for nearly 10 years. It is a great system for
>> quick intro to hypertext context for teaching my college art courses. I've
>> tried other systems, but none offer the design flexibility (html functions)
>> and the ease of use.
>>
>> I am currently running Squeak 3.6.1Beta5, which seems to be the latest
>> version I could find packaged for wiki use. Http://wiki.squeak.org/swiki/16.
>>
>> I also found download for Squeak VM version 4.2, but not with the swiki
>> package.
>>
>> I basically would like to upgrade to prevent occasional errors I get and to
>> possibly implement the aniani function. While I'm at it I want to use the
>> latest versions. Are there other newer packages out there? Can I reconfigure
>> the parts (image, swiki files) with the 4.2 version of Squeak VM? Is there
>> something problematic about using Aniani? I recall possible security issues.
>>
>> Paul Wittenbraker
>> Grand Valley State University
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> I am forwarding your question to the squeak-dev list in case anyone
> there may be able to help. If you are not on that list, the information
> is here:

> Dave

At my knowledge, could be wrong, old swiki run on 3.7 and not on any newer
Squeak.
As part of my "Experiments" have a HV2 based code which mimics it.
Can be see on http://www.squeakros.org as HVNaughtieWiki
http://190.193.178.121:8085/
Also in http://www.squeakros.org you could see CuisWiki , which is reduced
Cuis (2 mb) on top I put all necessary for being some compatible with
regular Trunk (Squeak 4.3)

Both run in a G4 Power Pc !!
Which is my goal, in my country we have tons of obsolete hardware like it
and like Pentium 3 computers.

So you have a crude version of original Swiki plus several enhancements via
internal and external javascript.
In fact, one of my modifications lets have JQuery, Prototype or MovTools
code in your html rendered via HV2.
Also can have web rendered morphs and direct input to smalltalk, like in
HVCaptcha and others.
All is experimental, not even alpha, but if you have a couple of good
students I could coach via Skype, let me know.

How to use.
Connect via http://www.squeakros.org , choose HVNaughtieWiki or CuisWiki, or
direct http://190.193.178.121:8085/ or http://190.193.178.121:8086/
User visita
pass: (nothing to type)

When time expires, text go encripted and you need click HVCaptcha

Edgar

PS. Have patient, is a G4 and cablemodem is slooooow