[squeak-dev] The Trunk: MonticelloConfigurations-cmm.97.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Aug 21 17:01:51 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:04:31PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 16.08.2011, at 02:52, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
>
> > Chris Muller uploaded a new version of MonticelloConfigurations to project The Trunk:
> > http://source.squeak.org/trunk/MonticelloConfigurations-cmm.97.mcz

> > Name: MonticelloConfigurations-cmm.97
> > Author: cmm
> > Time: 13 August 2011, 7:39:26.257 pm
> > UUID: 1824aaa0-7327-4eb5-9f64-b76f259b116a
> > Ancestors: MonticelloConfigurations-bf.96
> >
> > - When storing a Configuration, instead of complaining to the user about what versions are missing in the target repository, just copy the missing versions in automatically.
>

> Uh oh. Why would you think that's a good idea? A configuration can have multiple repositories, so just copying all into into one is not always the right thing to do.
>
> At the very least this should warn that it's not just going to store a config, but copy versions over, too.

I think that this change just made a mess of the SqS/VMMaker repository.
Fortunately I have admin rights to that repository, so I have been able
to clean it up with (hopefully) no lasting problems.

The VMMaker package uses various externally maintained plugins and
packages (e.g. pool definitions in FFI and Speech). The update map
for VMMaker refers to these packages, and 'VMMaker updateFromServer'
relies on that update map. I do *not* want copies of all of these
external packages to be dumped into the VMMaker project without
my knowledge or permission.

If this change was the cause of the problem I described, then I
think it should be reverted.

Dave