[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Magma 1.3

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 23:52:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am very pleased to announce the immediate availability of Magma 1.3.
>  The following detail the major improvements to 1.3 over 1.2:
>
> Serializer Upgrade
> ====
>        BlockClosures (Contexts and CompiledMethods too, of course), can now
> be stored in the database, even with references to inst-vars, self,
> temps or globals.

Excellent. I will take a look.

Proxy Transparency
> ====
>        A new extension to the WriteBarrier should now alleviate the need to
> send #yourself to primitive arguments!  Primitives which require
> arguments are now overridden in the anonymous subclass so that the
> arguments will automatically be ensured to be fully-reified for the
> super call.

I would like to take a look to this. In which primitives you need to send
#yourself for example? This is because otherwise the VM will fail / crash
because it expects the parameters of a primitive to be of a certain type
rather than a proxy ?
Which are those subclases you mention that override the primitive methods?

Thanks and congrats for the release.

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com