[squeak-dev] Package Pane Browser Broken

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 07:22:10 UTC 2011

On 13 December 2011 07:14, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 December 2011 23:36, Christopher Oliver
> <current.input.port at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 20:49:14 -0500
>> "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>>> Hmmm... it was broken in Squeak 4.2, but worked in Squeak 4.1. Evidently
>>> the package browser is not getting a lot of heavy use ;-) Nevertheless it
>>> is broken and a fix would be much appreciated!
>>
>> I get a strong feeling this relates to:
>>   http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general/155606
>>
>> Browser>>selectedSystemCategoryName provided a hook for subclasses to override.
>> Eliding this hook broke PackagePaneBrowser.  A hasty optimization oblivious to
>> Einstein's razor perhaps?
>>
>> Mumble mumble,
>>
>> --
>> Christopher Oliver <current.input.port at gmail.com>
>>

> Indeed, I suspected it was me who broke it.
>
> I'd have fixed it, had I been able to find the PPB in the menu. I
> poked around a bit, and then gave up. So (a) yes, I (probably?) broke
> it  and (b) we obviously need loads more tests.

I forgot to add: thanks, Christopher, for the fix, and thanks, Dave,
for accepting it.

The whole CodeHolder/Browser/subclasses hierarchy is dreadfully
confused. Most things should not subclass Browser, a bunch of things
Browser does should be pushed up, and so on. I can't remember the
exact details - I did all that hacking back in March - but I'm pretty
sure I sent a braindump to squeak-dev.

frank