[squeak-dev] RE: U8 Release - Beta Testing

leodm leo at smalltalking.net
Wed Dec 14 19:04:57 UTC 2011

Hi Sean!

U8 is the first social development platform for Smalltalkers.
It was designed to promote social & open software development with Smalltalk
in multiple platforms.
The current implementation (under beta testing) is the minimal contents we
considered necessary to do development in Smalltalk in the web. It is
currently implemented using S8 (a minimalistic and efficient implementation
of smalltalk mounted on top of javascript) and running in Web Browsers.
There are tons of code and features to add, and runtime options to exploit.
We are releasing this version to make it simple and easy to support
development of other platforms (e.g. developing on tablet devices and run on
phones, build efficient servers in smalltalk, etc)

S8 is a smalltalk running on top  of V8 the Google's javascript VM. The
platform is open and let us extend/adapt the VM  to your needs and support
full smalltalks semantics.

Please, feel free to join our mailing list in
<http://ar.groups.yahoo.com/group/smalltalking/>
platform.

Best Regards,

Leo