[squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak 4.2

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sat Feb 12 23:41:40 UTC 2011

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011, Chris Muller wrote:

>> About the developement process: I think we should clean the Inbox ASAP, to
>> let future contributions flow in and motivate people to keep contributing.
>
> +1
>
> We should also condense the sources file and remove deprecated
> methods.  We're early in the cycle, this is a good time to "break"
> code still using 3.9Deprecated methods.

IMHO condensing should be done before the release. It's not possible to
tell a 4.2 image to use a different sources file without changing it.
For 4.3 it doesn't worth condensing now, because we will do further
changes, which would generate cruft in the file (compared to condensing
before the release).

>> There's some 8+ months old stuff there which should be merged to the Trunk.
>> So, I think Core developers should increase their activity and start
>> merging/discussing Inbox contributions. We should keep it clean in the
>> future.
>
> I agree about trying to remember to keep on top of it.  Except
> "cleanliness" should not be the factor; we should merge to make a
> better Squeak, not a cleaner Inbox.  :)

That's the basic idea, but if the Inbox is not clean enough, then
some people won't use it, just like Mantis. Long pending contributions
discourage contributors. And we need the contributions of non-core
developers, because core developers are not very active nowadays.

I've got the following idea about keeping the Inbox clean:
We define a time limit for keeping a contribution in the Inbox. Something
like 1-2 weeks. If there's no activity about that contribution for this
long, then we open a ticket for it on Mantis and move it to the Treated
Inbox. The ticket would
- contain the name and comment of the mcz
- be attached to the ticket of the next release
so the contribution would remain in our sight.

Levente