[squeak-dev] Object>>is:

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sun Feb 13 23:23:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, David T. Lewis wrote:

> We had a good deal of discussion earlier about adding Object>>is:
> with an inconclusive outcome:
>  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-April/148501.html
>
> Igor's original proposal is:
>  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-June/136793.html
>
> I have been tinkering around with Juan's SimpleMorphic in hopes of
> getting it running in Squeak alongside MVC and Morphic, and it would
> be convenient to have the default implementation of #is: in the image
> so I don't have to put it in a package override.
>
> Any strong objections?

I agree with Stéphane and Colin, we shouldn't add this method. I think
adding Object >> #is: alone won't help you much anyway.

IMHO the following alternative solutions are better for integrating
SimpleMorphic, especially the first one:
1) use #is* instead of #is: *. This should work since there are only 26
implementors of #is: in Cuis. Almost all of them behave this way. The
only exception is #ShoutEnabled, but Cuis has a different Shout
implementation than Squeak, so you'll have to use the Squeak counterpart
of that anyway.
2) add the #is: methods as extension methods, maybe in a separate
compatibility package

Levente