[squeak-dev] 20s send timeout in Socket >> sendSomeData:startIndex:count:

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Fri Feb 18 08:32:16 UTC 2011

On 2011/02/18 03:46, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> We ran into an issue in cobalt, and finally tracked it down to
> the hardcoded 20 second timeout in Socket>>
> sendSomeData:startIndex:count: . We need to make the timeout
> configurable, ideally turning it off. The read timeouts in
> Socket and SocketStream are configurable, kind of. Has anybody
> done the same for the write timeouts?

Not I, but it's a bit glaring now you point it out: explicit timeouts
for connecting, and reading, but not writing!

How about hollowing out sendSomeData:startIndex:count: and making it
call a new method sendSomeData:startIndex:count:for: that takes an
explicit timeout? (sendData: and sendUDPData:toHost:port: also use
hard-coded timeouts.) That leaves the rest of the system untouched while
you get an explicit timeout.

frank