[squeak-dev] Procedure for condensing sources

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sat Feb 19 02:37:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Chris Muller wrote:

>>> Each release should be able to present it's deltas to the prior
>>> release.  That is not cruft.
>>
>> The cruft would appear in the 4.3 release if we would condense the sources
>> now and ship 4.3 with these condensed sources. If we wait till the release
>> of 4.3, then the condensed sources will be smaller, because those won't
>> include the code removed during the developement of 4.3.
>
> Well, will there be a very much code removed?  I'm hard-pressed to
> imagine we would save even 1MB of disk-space.  But yet at the cost of
> losing a continuity-of-record about Squeak; e.g., "what happened
> between 4.2 and 4.3".  Each release should be presented in terms of
> its delta to the prior release.  Isn't that a bad deal or am I missing
> something?

I'm not sure about what your goal is with that delta. Condensing the
sources is not bad, but IMHO it's late. It can be done now, but it's
better before releasing the image (it's not specific to 4.3).
If you just want the changes, between 4.1 and 4.2, then the update process
in the image can produce changesets somehow. Though that won't be useful
to load them into the image, because Squeak's MC has a well defined load
order, while changesets don't.

Levente