[squeak-dev] Re: What was the idea behind the colorful windows?

Dan Ingalls dan at squeakland.org
Tue Feb 22 05:09:14 UTC 2011

Hi Bert, and all -

Yes, the rationale behind different colors had to do with different functions in a busy screen, especially useful for partially obscured or collapsed windows.  I found this important as a developer, but I never dreamed of inflicting the panoply on end-users.

With regard to the choice of colors, I did not attach any great significance to it except the obvious red for errors and, by association, the debugger.  In choosing green for the browser I think I was thinking of the pale green used for some graph paper;  I didn't want anything too contrasty (after having tried that for a while).  And the workspace color was an allusion to parchment for useful notes;  I recall the first post-its being yellow too.

The shades are not the best (someone once mentioned Necco Wafers).  I know they replulse some people, but they have always been changeable.  All that nice ability to change "themes" was put in by other people.   I can only take credit for making things bad enough that the community came forth with the necessary improvements ;-).

	- Dan