[squeak-dev] Proper Smalltalk lots of classes

Jan van de Sandt jvdsandt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 16:18:34 UTC 2011

Hello Jimmie,

I had to do something similar a while ago. I had to support a complex XML
schema for a standard message format of the Dutch government (StUF).

The Java implementation used JAXB to generate a few thousand data objects.
Very clumsy.

In Smalltalk I made some code to generate Magritte descriptions for all the
structure and field definitions in the XML schema. Using the Magritte
descriptions it was very easy to read and write messages in the correct
format. I created real classes only for the few message types that required
some logic. For all the other message types I used some generic class that
stores the values in a dictionary.

So my advice is to have a look at Magritte. It can help you handle the type
information without creating/generating lots of classes.

Jan.