[squeak-dev] Re: Unicode strings, benchmarks

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Sat Jan 1 18:56:30 UTC 2011

At Wed, 15 Dec 2010 18:54:26 +0800,
tgkuo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the development image from
> http://etoys.squeak.org/download/ , run the default image, evaluate the
> code, but still can not show the font as expected.
>
> I suppose that it cann't work because what I needed is
> TraditionalChineseEnvironment in my WinXP PC.
>
> I explored the system for the class "TraditionalChineseEnvironment:" but
> it is missing.
> There is only a few environment available in Multilingual-languages
> package, how can I make the "TraditionalChineseEnvironment " one, I
> currently had no ideas to write the class methods that need to be
> changed for TraditionalChineseEnvironment, can you help me to build one?

  Again, sorry for slow response.

  If you don't need support for CNS 11643 (or BIG 5),
SimplifiedChineseEnvironment can mimick, say, the Russian Environment.
You would need a new "leading char" assigned (just get the next
available one), and define a font you would like to use.

Nowadays, you would like to consider to use TrueType fonts.  The OLPC
image includes a method
#makeSmartRefFilesFrom:encodingTag:ranges:outputFileName: at
TTCFontSet.  You define the range you're interested in, choose a TT
font that convers it, and create a ".out" file.

-- Yoshiki