[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] new Cog VMs

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 00:11:21 UTC 2011

On 3 January 2011 00:15, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin, Hi All,
>     so find new VMs in VM.r2341/.  The linux crashes (certainly the one you
> suffered from Martin) seem to be caused by an optimization bug (but they
> could be caused by bad code generation, creating something that assumes
> ordering constraints which C doesn't guarantee).  I suspect the former
> because I don't see the crash when running exactly the same VM and image
> from a different directory; provoking the crash requires a particular path
> (go figure; I haven't pinned this down yet).
> So my "fix" is preventing a complex function being inlined into the main
> interpreter loop, removing the sources of some warnings, and lowering the
> optimization level of the gcc3x-cointerp.c file to -O1 from -O2 (my build
> environment, CentOS Linux 5.3, uses gcc 4.1.2).  I'm not proud of this
> "fix".  I've violated the Deutsch criterion by not diagnosing the cause of
> the bug so I can't stand behind this fix; it's a hack that appears to work
> and may have merely pushed the real bug further underground.  Alas I don't
> have time to do a better job. Hopefully it'll get those of you on linux
> going again.

Eliot, if you remember, i also had crash issues on linux, and pinned down it to
removing optimization from <something>heartbeat.c while keeping
gcc3x-cointerp.c to use
 same optimization flags as for rest of files.

I will start coding cmake config for Cog during next week and will be
able to check my previous
observations again.

--
Best regards,