[squeak-dev] [4.2] - VM <-> image release coordination

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Jan 3 05:26:22 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 09:56:51PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:
> Levente wrote:
>
> > I think we should wait for the new VMs, before releasing the new images.
>
> Hi Levente,
>
> I did agree, but now that Eliot is on a tear with a new code
> generator, the first official release might still be some weeks away.
> Someone please correct me if that is a misstatement.
>
> It seems unlikely 4.2 will be incompatible with whatever ends up being
> the first official Cog release.  We should consider pushing it out the
> door so we can re-open the trunk to new featurey.
>
>  - Chris

I agree, we should move forward with the 4.2 release. There should
be no hard dependencies between VM and image for a first time user
downloading Squeak, or for someone with an existing VM installed
who is downloading the new Squeak 4.2 image. In practical terms
that simply means making sure the release image was saved from a
standard VM immediately prior to the release.

Dave