[squeak-dev] [4.2] - VM <-> image release coordination

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 19:53:17 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:

> Quoting Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com>:
>
>  Levente wrote:
>>
>>  I think we should wait for the new VMs, before releasing the new images.
>>>

>> Hi Levente,
>>
>> I did agree, but now that Eliot is on a tear with a new code
>> generator, the first official release might still be some weeks away.
>> Someone please correct me if that is a misstatement.
>>
>> It seems unlikely 4.2 will be incompatible with whatever ends up being
>> the first official Cog release.  We should consider pushing it out the
>> door so we can re-open the trunk to new featurey.
>>

> That's right, Cog's recent improvements introduced some instability. So I
> think we should release Squeak 4.2 with SqueakVM only and postpone the
> multi-VM release. We can also make the release cycle of Squeak 4.3 shorter
> to catch up with the two release per year policy and deliver the VM
> improvements earlier. I'm also sure that a lot of improvements will be done
> till April/May on both image and VM side.

It would be my preference to release with the Cog VM using the naive
SimpleStackBasedCogit code generator.  After all that's worth at least 3x
over the standard VM whereas the unstable StackToregisterMappingCogit is
only ~ 8% faster than SimpleStackBasedCogit.  It's quite easy for me to
generate either; the two coexist in the same VMMaker.

best
Eliot