trunk repair (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak4.2-10856-beta.zip)

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 22:40:37 UTC 2011

>> I loaded my latest version of KernelTests from the inbox which removes
>> FloatConsistencyTests, and have just uploaded a first 4.2 beta to
>
> IMHO the release has to be a Trunk image. Manual changes must not change the
> code in the image, because that breaks the update mechanism.

Of course, I just need your assistance to get trunk back on track.
You had brought up that trying to merge that via the trunk update
process would result in "conflicts".  What is the best way to get back
on track?

I'm betting there will be one or two more images before release.  I
wanted to get something one out there ASAP.

>>  ftp://ftp.squeak.org/4.2/
>>
>> We can try to go-back in the trunk stream so that a continuous update
>> could work from a 10779 image, but I'm really not sure what needs to
>> be done to accomplish that or whether that's important.  We have this
>> beta image from which we can at least update forward.
>
> What would be the benefit from rejecting all changes since 10779 from 4.2?

I'm not suggesting anything specific; that was a request for help.

>> We do still have some issues in the test-suite that we need help with!
>
> AFAIK all but one failing tests have fixes in the Inbox.

Ok, I'll try to make another pass.  If other core developers expertise
can help here, thank you.

 - Chris