[squeak-dev] Re: new 4.2 cleanUp method

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Jan 7 08:35:34 UTC 2011

On 1/7/2011 12:14 AM, Chris Muller wrote:
> An expert review of the new 4.2 cleanUp process is needed.  Andreas, I
> noticed that ReleaseBuilderTrunk class>>#prepareNewBuild for 4.1 did
> not do a
>
>    Smalltalk cleanUp: true
>
> but that it had code that was duplicated in many of the class-side
> cleanUp: methods.  However, the time-stamp on those methods was just a
> few minutes after #prepareNewBuild, so I thought maybe you started
> there but then decided to delegate to classes, but never actually
> finished with a call to them?

Sort of. I had started with ReleaseBuilder only to find that it creates
all sorts of useless dependencies. I then added the cleanUp protocol and
simply never used ReleaseBuilder, i.e., the only thing I ever did was
running "Smalltalk cleanUp: true".

> I removed all of the duplicate code from the 4.1 version of
> #prepareNewBuild methods and put in:
>
>    Smalltalk cleanUp: true
>
> instead.  Since that enumerates all classes in the system and calls
> cleanUp: on them, it's safe to say it's a more aggressive "clean-up"
> for 4.2 it was for 4.1.
>
> But maybe too aggressive?

This is the right thing to do for a release.

Cheers,
   - Andreas