[squeak-dev] Re: How to fix all package dependency tests in trunk

Bernhard Pieber bernhard at pieber.com
Sat Jan 8 14:10:10 UTC 2011

Hi Andreas,

I completely agree! I have considered it in all cases. It would have been much easier to fix it by introducing the dependencies. ;-) But maybe I should have discussed my choices on the list before.

1. IMHO package dependency tests should not rely on "obsolete", i.e. non-Monticello PackageInfos.
2. TestRunner should not depend on Morphic, just because it uses LayoutFrame. See http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-December/156081.html
3. TheWorldMainDockingBar>>helpMenuOn: was already coded to avoid a dependency on HelpSystem-Core by using (Smalltalk classNamed: #HelpBrowser) ifNotNil:. Therefore it did not feel right to me to introduce a dependency on the more specific Help-Squeak-TerseGuide. Furthermore Help-Squeak-TerseGuide is a separate package. So it could potentially be unloaded even when HelpSystem-Core is loaded. IMHO those packages should be added to your unloadAllKnownPackages.

Cheers,
Bernhard