[squeak-dev] "How to extend the system scripts" - Omnibrowser script fails.

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Tue Jan 11 01:38:21 UTC 2011

Quoting Michael Davies <mykdavies+squeak at gmail.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> I just noticed a problem with the script in the 4.2 beta (and I assume in
> 4.1).
>
> The line
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser) project perform: #lastVersion)
> load: #( Dev ).
>
>  fails in
> MetacelloFetchingMCSpecLoader(MetacelloCommonMCSpecLoader)>>retryingResolvePackageSpecReferences:gofer:
> with error message: 'Could not resolve: OB-Morphic [OB-Morphic-cwp.117] in
> /Users/mike/Documents/Development/squeak/Squeak4.2beta/package-cache
> http://source.wiresong.ca/ob'.
>
> This script appears to have been working fine in December (
> http://forum.world.st/loading-Shout-into-trunk-td3071889.html)
>
> Metacello makes my head spin so I can't even understand what's gone wrong,
> let alone how to resolve this problem.

The script tries to load the latest version which is 1.2.3. It uses
baseline 1.2.1. The specification for #squeakCommon in
ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser >> #baseline121: is polluted with Pharo
specific stuff (starting from
ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser-GuillermoPolito.72), so Metacello is
looking for Squeak related packages in Pharo repositories.

You can use this script to load OB until someone updates the configuration:
Installer ss project: 'MetacelloRepository'; install:
'ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser'.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser) project perform:
#version: with: '1.2') load: #(Dev).

Note that the configuration doesn't load the latest version of the
packages, because some of them are not compatible with Squeak anymore.
If we would like to keep using (an up-to-date version of) OB, then we
have to make it Squeak compatible again. Either by cooperating with
the current developers or if that's not possible, by forking it.

Levente