[squeak-dev] Extended Clipboard

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Jan 17 18:18:07 UTC 2011

On 17.01.2011, at 17:32, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> On 30.12.2010, at 18:31, John M McIntosh wrote:
>>

>>> Since you are in there, and dragging the FFI stuff about you might consider grabbing the clipboard stuff
>>> so that we can copy/paste graphics on windows/mac to/from squeak?
>>> I took a run at it a year back but I'm afraid the Windows community just couldn't care less so I couldn't get any testers or confirmation  that it worked there.
>>> Today I'd suggest we just abandon them and let them sort it out later.
>>> I put the image & changes at
>>> ftp://ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com/experimental
>>>
>>> pharo.extendedClipboard.2.zip
>>>

>>> For image read/writing it uses  SophieImageReadWriter which uses Quicktime's api to translate any supported media types into bitmaps. If that fails or is not available it just like SophieMovie grinds down a decsion tree to find a supported Squeak plugin or smalltalk code to decode the supplied mime-type.
>>>
>>> PS ya, I see currentMIMETypes := SophieBookEditor clipboardMimeTypes.  but SophieBookEditor is not there and ExtendedClipboardMacInterface>>copyImageDataFromClipboard   but is that used? or did I replace it with ExternalClipboard
>>>

>> We use the extended clipboard plugin in Etoys. Copying/pasting bitmaps or rich text between apps works nicely (on Mac and Unix anyway, Windows remains to be implemented).
>>
>> However, there is one major issue: When pasting, we have not found a way to determine which clipboard should take precedence - Squeak's text clipboard, Morphic's object clipboard, the system's string clipboard, or the extended Text/Bitmap/Etc. clipboard. In Sophie I guess you used the extended clipboard exclusively, but for Squeak it's not quite as clear-cut ...
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

> Hi Bert,
>
> I installed Etoys 4.1 on my Mac mini with Mac OS X 10.5.8. I was neither able to copy nor paste RTF from to Etoys. I tried both with AbiWord and TextEdit, and all I get is a String (without font styles, alignment or color). I also tried to paste a graphic (created with the Grab app) and I also failed (I get the previous String clipboard).
>
> In the first case, ExtendedClipboardInterface current readAvailableFormats answered an OrderedCollection(text/rtf text/utf8-unicode text/plain text/unicode), in the second case it answered an OrderedCollection(image/tiff).
>
> Besides, #readRTFClipboardData and #readTIFFClipboardData have no senders.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Juan Vuletich

Ah, I misremembered. Neither RTF nor TIFF reading is implemented. On Unix we get text/html as rich-text format, and that works. Now I remember something about a RichText Squeak reader somewhere, but can't place it ...

Bitmap pasting works only if the format is PNG or JPG, which a lot of apps produce, but not all, apparently. For screenshots I use shift-control-command-4 which puts a PNG into the clipboard and that can be pasted fine.

HTH,

- Bert -