[squeak-dev] Dynamic variables

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Fri Jan 21 18:08:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 6:42 AM, Frank Shearar
<frank.shearar at angband.za.org> wrote:
> Is there an analogue to Common Lisp's dynamic variables in Squeak?
>
> It looks like Goran Krampe's DynamicBindings
> (http://map.squeak.org/package/9f2cdda3-c666-459c-ba5e-55a91b428f40) MIGHT
> be what I'm looking for, but there's also Samir Saidani's DynamicBindings
> (http://www.squeaksource.com/DynamicBindings.html, moved to
> http://www.squeaksource.com/KomHttpServer.html). Are these two packages
> related?
>
> (I'm trying to figure out the restart capabilities of Common Lisp's
> conditions, and thought a good way to do that would be by adding same to
> Squeak. It looks like one of the requirements is something like dynamic
> variables, to allow the lookup of a suitable restart.)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help/advice/etc!

Hi Frank,

DynamicBindings was actually written by Stephen Pair as part of the
Comanche web server, though Göran and Samir have been maintaining it
in recent years. You probably want to use the version on SqueakSource
since SqueakMap isn't maintained much anymore. As Tobias notes, you
could also use resumable exceptions to for your purposes.

HTH,

Colin