[squeak-dev] Re: Pragma support in Squeak/Pharo/Cuis

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 21:39:57 UTC 2011

I've got some notes from 2 May 2010 about pragmas. Eliot produced this example at the time:

	x := Editor class compiledMethodAt: #blinkingCursor.

	x pragmas
{<preference: 'Blinking Text Cursor' category: 'Morphic' description: 'When true, the text cursor will blink.' type: #Boolean>}.

I think that corresponds with his message today:

>  Having it as a message pattern means:
>- one can search for references to the method tag by searching for senders
>of the message tag's selector

But the ultimate destination of all method annotations is a #perform:?
I take that from this:

>- one can provide implementation(s) of the selector and hence execute the
>method tag using perform

So the ultimate destination of all pragmas/method annotations/method tags is that somewhere a #perform: lurks waiting
for it? Sometimes that's the Compiler class and sometimes it's another class with a #perform:.

I'd appreciate it if somebody could say if this is an accurate picture.
A "yes" will do it.

Chris