[squeak-dev] full-screen mode - Linux

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Jul 6 14:12:46 UTC 2011

On 2011-07-06 3:51 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On other platforms it's just really convenient to be able to alt-tab
> quickly to another application and alt-tab back to your full-screen
> Squeak workspace. Like, for googling something. I do that all the
> time.

I haven't been able to use the Linux VM's full-screen support for years.
Instead I have had to configure my window manager (Sawfish) to recognise
Squeak windows by X class, and to draw them without any window
decorations. Once Squeak is open, I press my "maximise window" shortcut
key which makes it roughly full-screen. Definitely a poor-man's solution.

For me, it'd be ideal if squeak were a regular window, except when in
full-screen mode it is

  - drawn without window decorations, and
  - placed by the VM at 0 at 0 extent: width at height when full-screen
    mode is entered

without any of the special-purpose single-app-mode "full screen" flags
offered by X window managers.

Regards,
   Tony