[squeak-dev] Porting JUnit's Theories to SUnit?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 20:05:29 UTC 2011

On 11 July 2011 21:27, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> Has anyone looked into porting JUnit 4's Theories into SUnit? (NUnit
>> also uses theories, in 2.5)
>>
>> In brief, a Theory is a test that takes a parameter. So what before might
>> say
>>
>> testMyFooPrintsIntegersHomoiconically
>>   -1 to: 1 do: [:i | self assert: i myFoo = i printString
>>
>> becomes
>>
>> testMyFooPrintsIntegersHomoiconically: anInteger
>>   self assert: anInteger myFoo = anInteger printString description:
>> 'Failure for integer ', anInteger printString
>>
>> You define a bunch of DataPoints, and then the runner runs that test
>> for every data point. In JUnit data points are defined through
>> constants with @DataPoint/@DataPoints annotations, but of course we
>> can do them however we want. Further, theories can make assumptions,
>> which are essentially pretest filters. For instance, in a TestCase
>> dealing with real algebra, a test for square roots might say
>>
>> testSquareRootReturnsRoot: anInteger
>>   self assumeThat: [anInteger > 0].
>>   "Rest of test"
>>
>> and then the test would only run on positive data points.
>>
>> The essential idea is simply decoupling the test itself - the theory -
>> from the data, so you don't have to roll your own looping construct
>> when testing multiple data points.
>
> I usually roll my own loops and use a single test method for a gazillion
> different cases. This style has the drawback that if you're not running the
> tests yourself, then you won't know which "subcase" is failing. So I see
> some value in Theories, if the test runner can tell which "subcase"
> (datapoint) failed.
>
> AFAIK our version of SUnit is a modified version of SUnit 3 (which is not
> the latest and greatest) and I miss some basic features of the test runner
> (and the framework itself), so enhancing it is welcome. The features I miss
> the most are:
> - differentiate between timeouts and failures
> - save the process for each failure/error (as a partial continuation?) and

If only we had a library knocking around for this sort've thing! But
seriously, with Ralph Boland's generator approach, it should be quite
simple to
- generate random data (possibly based on types, a la Haskell's QuickCheck)
- run the parameterised test on that data
- capture the continuations for failing tests giving decent error
messages and resumable failing tests

> resume that instead of re-running the test (which may pass on the second
> run) when check the failing test
> - measure the runtime of each individual test
> - easily create a report of the results

Yes, especially if they can be dumped in JUnit standard XML format.